The general management, care, control and supervision of the city water system shall be in the superintendent of water and sewage, who shall work at the direction of the Public Works Director and shall be appointed by the City Administrator and Public Works Director with the approval of the city council.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

The furnishing of water to customers by the city through its waterworks system shall be governed by the regulations set out in this article.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

The city does not guarantee the delivery of water through any of its mains and connecting services at any time except only when its mains, pumping machinery, power service connection are in good working order, and the supply of water is sufficient for the usual demand of its consumers.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

(a)   The owner of all houses, buildings, or properties used for human occupancy, employment, recreation, or other purpose, situated within the city abutting on any street, alley, or right-of-way in which there is now located or may in the future be located public water mains, is hereby required at his or her own expense to make connection to such public water main.

(b)   Before any connection is made to the city’s water system an application must be made in writing to the city clerk by the owner of the premises, or his or her authorized representative, for a permit to make such connection.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

(a)   Any person, firm or corporation desiring a connection with the municipal water system shall apply in writing to the city clerk, on a form furnished by the city for that purpose, for a permit to make the connection.

(b)   The application shall:

(1)   Contain an exact description including street address of the property to be served;

(2)   State the size of tap required;

(3)   State the size and kind of service pipe to be used;

(4)   State the full name of the owner of the premises to be served;

(5)   State the purpose for which the water is to be used;

(6)   State any other pertinent information required by the city clerk;

(7)   Be signed by the owner or occupant of the premises to be served, or his or her authorized agent.

(c)   Each application for a connection permit shall be accompanied by payment of fees and/or costs specified in section 15-207.

(Code 1961, 17-107; Code 1987; Ord. 983)

All taps shall be given, street excavations made, corporation cocks inserted, pipes installed from main to curb, and the curb cock installed, if needed, in a meter box to which the service pipe is to be connected by city employees only.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

The fees for connection to the city waterworks system shall be as follows:

(a)   The fee charged to the property owner for tapping a City water main for connection to the property shall be paid in full to the City Clerk upon application of such request. The fees for water taps in mains are as follows, to wit:

Main Tap Minimum Fees

(1)   ¾ inch connection                 $300

(2)   1 inch connection                  $500

(3)   1 ½ inch connection            $2,000

(4)   2 inch connection               $3,000

There shall be no charge made to the customer for replacement of a tap or service due to failure of City mains or materials as identified by the City Superintendent or an authorized designate.

(b)   Water meters for non-essential water supply shall be installed only if a backflow prevention device approved by the City Engineer is installed with or included with the lawn sprinkler system or other non­essential water supply device.

(Ord. 904; Code 2016; Ord. 983)

There shall be a curb cock in every service line attached to the city main, the same to be placed within the meter box. Curb cocks shall be supplied with strong and suitable “T” handles.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

Check valves are required on all connections to steam boilers or on any other connection deemed necessary by the water superintendent. Safety and relief valves shall be placed on all boilers or other steam apparatus connected with the water system where the steam pressure may be raised in excess of 40 pounds per square inch.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation, other than duly authorized city officials or employees to turn water on or off at the water meter or curb cock shut off, with a key or in any other manner, without first obtaining written permission from the city administrator or his designee.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

See sections 15-601:605.

(Code 1987; Code 2016; Ord. 983)

(a)   (a)     All water furnished to customers shall be metered, with the exception of fire lines which shall remain unmetered.

(b)   Meters shall be located between the sidewalk or property line and curbing when the main is in the street, and on private property within three feet of the alley line when the main is in the alley. In the business district the meters may be installed in the basement at a location specified by thecity.

(c)   The city’s responsibility stops at the property line.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

Meters shall be tested before being set and at any other time thereafter when they appear to be measuring incorrectly. If a test is requested by the customer and the meter is found to be accurate within two percent, the meter will be deemed correct and a charge of $25 will be made to the customer.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

It shall be unlawful for any person to break the seal of any meter, to alter the register or mechanism of any meter, or to make any outlet or connection in any manner so that water supplied by the city may be used or wasted without being metered. It shall be unlawful for any person except an authorized employee of the water department to turn any curb cock on or off.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

No allowances shall be made for water used or lost through leaks, carelessness, and neglect or otherwise after the same has pass through the meter. However, every customer shall have the right to appeal to the city from water bill or meter reading which he or she may consider excessive.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

The city reserves the right to interrupt water service for the purpose of making repairs or extensions to water lines or equipment.

(Code 1961, 17-106; Code 1987; Ord. 983)

It shall be a violation of this article for any unauthorized person to:

(a)   Perform any work upon the pipes or appurtenances of the city’s waterworks system beyond a private property line unless such person is employed by the city;

(b)   Make any connections with any extension of the supply pipes of any consumer without written permission to do so having been first obtained from the governing body;

(c)   Remove, handle or otherwise molest or disturb any meter, meter lid, cutoff, or any other appurtenances to the water system of the city.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

Water users shall prevent unnecessary waste of water and shall keep sprinklers, hydrants, faucets and all apparatus, including the service line leading from the property to the meter in good condition at their expense.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

The city reserves the right to restrict or prohibit the use of water and to specify the purposes for which it may be used whenever the governing body determines the public exigency so requires.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

Whenever the governing body determines that water use must be restricted or prohibited, it shall forthwith issue a proclamation of emergency through the news media and use other appropriate methods of making public the proclamation.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

In the event a proclamation of emergency is issued, water usage will be restricted or prohibited first for uses in the following priority:

(a)   Water lawns, gardens, trees, shrubs, plants and water outside dwellings for such purposes as car, boat, or trailer washing or washing exterior of dwellings;

(b)   Industrial uses of water, including but not limited to car wash operations and packing plant operations;

(c)   Business use, other than industrial;

(d)   Home uses other than those set forth in subsection (a).

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

Authorized employees of the city may enter upon any premises at reasonable hours for the purpose of reading the meter or servicing or inspecting meters or water lines.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

The city will furnish water to consumers only on meter measure and at the adopted rates per month.  The monthly minimum service charges as set forth in this section apply to all industrial, commercial and residential dwellings within the City of Chapman.  The minimum monthly charge as set forth in this section applies to each dwelling unit within an apartment house or apartment complex, each mobile home or mobile home unit within a mobile home park, subdivision or conununity.


Year            Monthly Minimum          Each Unit of 1000 Gallons

2017                        $20.00                          $2.50

2018                        $20.00                          $2.75

2019                        $20.00                          $3.00

(Ord. 554; Ord. 758; Ord. 884; Ord. 944; Code 2016; Ord. 983)

The city will furnish water to be sold at $20.00 per thousand gallons rounded to the nearest 1,000 gallons; $20 minimum.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

See Section 15-103.

(Ord. 710, Sec. 6; Code 1987; Ord. 983)

Water service shall be terminated for nonpayment of service fees or charges as provided in sections 15-105:107.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

No person owning or occupying premises connected to the municipal water system shall use or allow to be used during a fire any water from the water system except for the purpose of extinguishing the fire. Upon the sounding of a fire alarm it shall be the duty of every such person to see that all water services are tightly closed and that no water is used except in extraordinary cases of emergency during the fire.

(Code 1987; Ord. 983)

(a)   The city may discontinue or ref use water service to any customer, without notice or hearing, for any of the following reasons:

(1)   When the customer so requests.

(2)   When it is determined by an employee of the city, fire or police department personnel, that continuance of water service constitutes a dangerous condition and is a likely immediate threat to health or safety of persons or to property on or near the customer’s premises.

(b)   The city may discontinue or ref use water or electrical services to any customer, following compliance with the notice and hearing requirements of sections 15-103:104, for any of the following reasons:

(1)   Nonpayment of water service accounts and delinquency charges.

(2)   When the customer misrepresents his or her identity or otherwise intentionally provides false information for the purpose of obtaining water service from the city.

(c)   The city may continue or refuse water service to any customer, following notice to the customer, for any of the following reasons:

(1)   When the customer refuses to grant city employees access to equipment installed upon the premises of the customer for the purpose of inspections, meter reading, maintenance or replacement.

(2)   When the customer violates any rules, regulations or ordinances pertaining to water service.

(3)   When the customer attempts, causes or permits unauthorized interference, diversion, theft, tampering or damage to water service or to the water distribution system.

The customer shall have a right to hearing within a reasonable time following termination or refusal of services. If after such hearing the city finds in favor of the customer, the connection or reconnection of the service shall be at no cost to the customer.

(Ord. 710; Ord. 983)